The Parent Coalition for Student Privacy is thrilled to take part in #GivingTuesday on November 29, 2016, a day dedicated to kick off the charitable season. We realize there are many causes worthy of your support but this year, we hope you will consider helping us so we can continue our urgent work.
If you look at a typical American classroom today, you will see students using laptops, tablets, smartboards and other devices. What you won’t see is the hundreds or more pieces of student data being collected by this technology and put at risk from breach, hack, misuse and commercialization. Federal and state laws too often lack the guardrails necessary to protect this treasure trove of student data. And boy is it valuable — worth an estimated $8 billion dollars per year.
While the software industry and organizations like the Gates Foundation give millions of dollars to dozens of professional organizations to promote the increased use of ed tech and collection of student data, our Coalition works on a shoe-string budget and need your support to keep going.
Since forming in Summer of 2014, we’ve been busy:
- testifying before the U.S. House Education & the Workforce Committee on the need to require more transparency around disclosure and security protections for student data;
- speaking at state forums and national conferences to promote our privacy principles;
- coordinating with advocates across the country to introduce strong state-level and federal legislation;
- providing fact sheets on student privacy rights under existing law;
- helping parents write FERPA complaints when their schools violate those rights;
- raising awareness through articles and op-eds; and
- alerting parents on how to comment on new policies that further threaten student privacy — like the revived push to overturn the ban on the federal collection of personal student data.
Right now, we’re working on a Parent Student Privacy Toolkit, to be released early next year in partnership with the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood – which will include practical steps and best practices to ensure that your child’s personal information is protected while at school and at home.
Please give to the Parent Coalition for Student Privacy, so we can keep fighting to protect every child’s most precious possession – his or her privacy.
You can donate online here or send a check to:
Class Size Matters • 124 Waverly Place • New York, NY 10011
*Please be sure to write “Designated to PCSP” on the check or the online form. Your contribution is fully tax-deductible.
Thank you for all that you do to support student privacy,
Leonie and Rachael